Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Warrior Women Paintings

 I created two individual pieces for the Elemental Sisterhood art show. These reflect my views of the required balance of feminine energy needed in healing our planet. My whole life I have been seeking to fuse my art with my desire to communicate ideas of healing, of elevating consciousness and radiating new vibrations for positive change. I used to paint what bothered me in my surrounding; urban sprawl, environmental degradation etc., but then I realized that these things are already there and enough energy and attention is spent in their perpetuation. I need to put forth the visions and solutions that come from the light in my heart! These are the things I need to share. I was very moved by a speech during election season by Alice Walker called "Democratic Womanism". She echoed my feelings about the role of women in fixing the damage to our earth and our spirits. In the picture below, titled "Warrior Women Sewing Seams, Sowing Seeds" a young girl is mending the earth while planting seeds of love. She loves her work, she is smiling as she moves forward.
Warrior Woman Sewing Seams, Sowing Seeds. acrylic on wood.

The second painting is called "Justice Sows Revolution". Here we have a mother in the garden growing the food that nourishes her body while she nourishes her baby. She is accompanied by butterflies, a dragon fly, a praying mantis, and a bee. She is Lady Justice. The scales are kicked to the dirt as she gets the good work done, and her blindfold is off because she sees what is going on- she knows what to do and proceeds. She is free.


Justice Sows Revolution. acrylic on wood.

details and sketches from these two panels and some of what I did in the collaborative works in the Elemental Sisterhood show:









No comments:

Post a Comment